Tough Stretch

We've had a bit of a rough patch since we got back in town from our last Clemson trip. The kids started a new daycare on Monday, which was stressful for all of us. Sunday night I slipped on our hardwood floors and hyper extended my right elbow. It was bruised pretty much immediately and was incredibly sore for the next few days. I couldn't do all kinds of little things like turn the knob on the washer, put my car in gear, or buckle my seat belt with my right hand. It was finally starting to feel a little better on Thursday.

I had a doctor's appointment already scheduled Thursday morning because I had had shortness of breath and been coughing off and on for a couple of weeks. My elbow kind of got forgotten at the appointment though because my oxygen stats were really low. After seeing the doctor she sent me down the hall for a chest x-ray. There wasn't any obvious pneumonia on the x-ray, so they sent me down the street for a CT scan of my chest because they were worried about a pulmonary embolism. About an hour after the scan my nurse called and said there was no PE, but my lungs were inflamed and filled with fluid. So then I was sent to a pulmonologist right away.

He said I had atypical pneumonia and thought it was caused by some kind of exposure or allergy to something. With my O2 being so low I was pretty close to being admitted to the hospital, but he put me on 7 days of IV antibiotics and steroids with a home health company instead. Friday morning I went to the outpatient clinic at the hospital to have the IV put in and get my first treatments. That IV lasted until Tuesday, when I had our friend's daughter come pull it out because it was getting sore. Wednesday my regular nurse blew two veins and couldn't get another one started. A second nurse came later that evening and after two more sticks she finally got one in.

So for Thanksgiving, I had a bad elbow, an IV in one hand, and both hands were sore and bruised from all the IV pokes. But I had been able to cook most of our meal Wednesday while I was without an IV and Justin and Haley fried our turkey Wednesday night over at Mr. Mark's house. Which was when I finally had a meltdown after Michael was choking and I had to figure how to help him without getting my lines tangled or pulling my IV. Then as I pulled the dog food out of his mouth he puked all over the dining room table.

I got Michael in bed shortly after that and felt much better after some facebook love and a funny story about Lathan pulling down his pants and sitting bare butt, about to do his business, in a bumbo seat in the middle of Wilder's World. My IV lasted until my nurse came Thanksgiving day to give me the last steroid push and pulled it out. I also had pre op appointments, blood work and x-rays this week for surgery the I already scheduled for Monday. But it seems like everything looks good enough to go ahead with surgery.

(I had an IUD put in in August, and it perforated my uterine wall, so it has to be removed from my abdominal cavity. Hopefully he can get it laparoscopically and it won't be a major operation.)

Comments