Better Late than Never

Until 3 weeks ago, Haley still got a bottle of milk at bedtime. I thought about taking it away at 1 year when she switched to milk, but she wasn't crazy about milk so we started by putting it in bottles. Then around 18 months, I knew we should take it away, but she went to bed without crying and slept for 12 hours every night, and who wants to mess with that, especially when you get pregnant and have all the fatigue assocaited with growing a person inside you. Then when she turned 2 she moved into a new room and a big girl bed, and we did actually try to take it away a couple of nights, but she really wanted it and we thought out of all the changes, what's the problem with another couple of months with a bottle.

But that weekend I finally decided she was going to be done with the bottle before bedtime. Sunday and Monday nights went fine, she was excited about a cup and didn't care about her bottle at all. BUT, come Tuesday night it was a different story. Justin had to work late, so I had both kids by myself for dinner, bath, and bed time. I put Michael down first, so it was about 20 minutes later than normal when I asked Haley if she was ready for milk and she said yes and followed me to the kitchen. I got out a cup and she said "No, I want my bottle". I told her that she didn't need a bottle anymore and she got to drink out of a cup. She threw a fit, so I left her crying and screaming on the kitchen floor while I went to her room to wait for her. She came in after a couple of minutes and picked out two books, then she saw the cup and said "I can't want that cup", and she picked it up and threw it down the hall.

I was trying not to laugh and decided to just ignore it, so we did a puzzle. Then when Haley was getting in bed I picked up the cup and put it on her table. She saw it and started climbing out of bed saying "I want my bottle". I said "Haley, DO NOT throw that cup". So she took the cup, walked into the kitchen, put the cup on the counter, turned around and came right back to bed without saying a word. Then after we read one book she said "I want my milk", I said, "You want your CUP with milk?" and she said "Yes, I want my cup please. It's on dat counter right dere. See it?". I brought it to her, she drank her milk, we read another book, she went to bed and hasn't said a word about a bottle since then.

I can definitely say that there is never a dull moment when you live with a 2 year old!

Comments

Anonymous said…
you can't blame the girl for trying, can you? LOL
Subella